What is Oral Thrush???
Oral thrush is an infection whereby there is an overgrowth of the fungi Candida Albicans in the lining of the mouth.
What are the symptoms?
- Creamy white lesions in the mouth which can be on the tongue, roof of the mouth or the inner cheeks, these lesions may be painful or even bleed when provoked by the teeth, food or toothbrush.
- Loss of taste.
- Oral inflammation/pain.
- Oral mucus.
What causes oral Thrush?
- Weakened Immune system: oral thrush is common in babies because of their low immunity; in adults some systemic diseases like HIV, Diabetes, Cancer, or some medications that reduces the immune system esp. Asthma drugs which contain steroids.
- Too much sugar in the diet can also cause oral thrush, cause the excess sugar creates enabling environment for the candida to multiply.
How do you treat oral thrush?
Once you notice, contact your dentist, it can be a first sign of some systemic disease which will be diagnose and manage, the underlying cause will also be address like rinsing your mouth after using anti-asthma sprays. Then using Anti-Fungal drugs.
What will happen if is left untreated
- The cause can weakens the immune system more and allow more serious illness to occur
- Is highly communicable and can be passed easily from one person to another, breastfeeding child and mother can be sharing it among themselves.